EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
§ 1989 Medical Degree, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of Torino. He discussed his thesis on “Advanced prostatic cancer and therapy with LH-RH-agonists”.
§ 1989-1994 Residency in Urology, Department of Urology, San Luigi University Hospital of Orbassano (Torino), University of Torino. He discussed his thesis on “P53 protein in bladder
§ 1991-1993 Internship followed by a full-time position in Surgery, San Lazzaro Hospital
§ 1993-1999 Medical Assistant in Urology, Department of Urology (Director Prof. D. Fontana), San Luigi University Hospital of Orbassano (Torino).
§ 1999-2002 Medical Manager in Urology, Department of Urology (Director Prof. D. Fontana and then Prof. R. M. Scarpa), San Luigi University Hospital of Orbassano (Torino), basic
professional position level D.
§ 2002-2010 Medical Manager in Urology, Department of Urology, San Luigi University Hospital of Orbassano (Torino), professional position level C1 (Oncological Urology).
§ 11/2010 Head of the Department of Urology, Cottolengo Hospital, Torino.
TOPICS OF SPECIAL INTEREST AND EXPERTISE:
- Endourology, including ureterorenoscopy (rigid and flexible), percutaneous nephrolithotomy and ECIRS, ESWL, bipolar prostatic resection, Holmium laser enucleation, anteroretrograde
treatment of ureteral and urethral stenoses.
- Urinary Stone Disease (comprehensive metabolic evaluation and preventive medical treatment, minimally invasive management of urinary tract stones). In fact he created the Stone Center of
the Cottolengo Hospital of Torino.
- He performed as first surgeon about 6000 surgical procedures of all kinds (upper and lower tract endoscopy, as well as major open and laparoscopic major surgery).
- He was the first urologist in Italy with professor Scarpa to perform ECIRS (PNL combined with RIRS in the Galdakao modified supine Valdivia position) in 2005. Currently, he has the major
patients series (about 450).
AWARDS AND HONORS:
- First prize for the best video at the 76th Congress of the Italian Society of Urology -
- Rocchetta Prize for the best scientific work on urolithiasis/ESWL at the 80th Congress of the Italian Society of Urology - Bari 2007
- Prize for the best video at the 82nd Congress of the Italian Society of Urology – Rimini 2009
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS:
- European Association of Urology (EAU); - Italian Society of Urology (SIU); - Italian Endourological Society (IEA); - Associazione Urologi Piemontesi (AUP); New Urology Society
(SUN); -- Italian Society of Uro-Oncology (SIURO); - Italian Society of Andrology (SIA).
- Member of the ICE group (International Cooperation in Endourology).
- World Journal of Urology.
- Italian Society of Urology (SIU).
§ 1995-2002 support to the courses for residents in Urology of the University of Torino (Kidney and urinary tract diseases, Endocrine-metabolic and nephrourologic diseases, Surgical
nephrology, Endoscopic procedures).
§ 2003-2004 Theoretical teaching and Live Surgery in the Second Level Master’s Degree Course “Endoscopy and Urology Laparoscopy”, San Luigi Hospital of Orbassano (Torino).
§ 2002-2011 Invited lectures during numerous advanced courses during congresses and meetings.
- Author of more than 200 national and international publications (basic urological research, uro-oncology, innovations in the area of surgical techniques).
- Author of the Guidelines for treatment of ureteral stones of the Italian Society of Urology, 2010.
- Author of a surgical DVD on ECIRS in the Galdakao modified supine Valdivia position.