Professor Basiri was graduated from medical school in 1981. He passed his Urology residency from 1982 to 1986 in Shahid Beheshti university of medical sciences. He started his academic careers as an assistant professor in the same university from 1988.
He founded Endourology in Iran in 1990 and Endourology flowship since 1992. His fields of interest are Endourology and stone disease, urooncology and renal transplantation.
He has done some field researches beside clinical research for Urolithiasis and bladder cancer in lran and published many articles of their results in international journals.
He has published 193 articles in medical journals so far from his original research. He was also involved in writing of 3 text book of Urology.
He has serverd as:
- Member of lranian national board examination since 1980
- vice-chancellor for education in Shahşd Behesti Universtiy of Medical Science ( 1998 -2000)
- Chairman, Urology and Nephrology research center, Shahid Behesti university of medical science (1999-present)
- Founder of Iranian endourology and urolaparoscopy society in 2003
- Editor in chief, Urology Journal since 2004
- Winner of 2 prize at Iranian national festival for research (Razi festival) in 2006 and 2009
- President, Iranian endourology and urolaparoscopy society (2011-2015)
- General secretary, Iranian urological association (2013-2016)
- Director, department of urology, Shahid Behesti university of medical science since 2016
- President Iranian urological association since 2016