Prof Scarpa is a Professor of Urology, Chief of Urological Department and Resident training programme in the University Campus Biomedico in Rome and Past Head of the University Department of Urology at the ‘San Luigi Gonzaga’ Hospital in Orbassano,Turin, ITALY.
Prof. Scarpa received his Medicine Degree from the Cagliari University in 1979 with honours and praise and subsequently trained and specialized in Urology (1984 with honours and praise), completing his internship at the University of Cagliari in 1984. In 1984-1985, he did a Visiting Clinical Fellowship at the University of Bern (Switzerland) with the late Prof. Ernst J. Zingg and working together with Prof. Urs E. Studer.
His appointment of Full Professor of Urology in 2001 was complemented with the added position of Director of the Division of Urology in the San Luigi Gonzaga Hospital/University of Turin – assigned to the Division of Orbassano where he has worked as Chief since 2000. Roberto Mario Scarpa is a member of various scientific associations, namely :
- Italian Association of Urology – SIU – Società Italiana di Urologia of which he is former General Secretary and actually President;
- the Italian Association of Andrology – SIA – Società Italiana di Andrologia.
- He was founding partner and former President of the Italian Association of Endourology – IEA – Associazione Italiana di Endourologia, associated to the Endourological Society.
- in addition is member of both the European Association of Urology and the American Urological Association.
- He served as Examiner and Referee (Italian, French, Spanish and English) for the European Board of Urology
Prof. Scarpa is
author of more than 400 publications on the subject of Urology and has an
Impact Factor greater than 500.
He has been Chairman of the National Scientific Qualification Commission (ASN 2012- 2014- ITALY) for Paediatric Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Urology, that has rated more than 300 aspiring to the position of Associate Professor or Full Professor in Italy, and now is still member of the same commission.